Monday, April 06, 2009

The joys of motherhood

Betcha can't guess what this picture's all about. Well, if you're a mom maybe you can. A little over a week ago Aaron was walking around sniffling his nose A LOT! I asked him to go blow his nose and he told me he couldn't. At first I was frustrated but then I looked at him and sure enough he had one of the balls from the Magnetix set up his nose. I totally panicked and imagined myself on another trip to urgent care (Tessa had a fondness for sticking things up her nose) but then I thought to myself, "hey, that's metal". I got the strongest magnet I could find and whalah, it was out in the blink of an eye. Here's a before shot too. I love my little man and we've had a very serious talk about why you don't stick things up your nose.


10 comments:

mariemc said...

Hi there - I'm a silent stalker of your blog. Just so you're not like who in the world is this?? :) I subscribe to your blog via Google Reader. Anyway, I thought I would mention that you'll want to be VERY careful with Magnetix and little ones. If you hadn't heard, there have been the cause of several severe injuries and even death. They are such strong magnets that when more than one is swallowed, they cause areas of the intestines to be stuck together between the magnets and food cannot pass through. I will leave a link for you to follow about it. The child doesn't feel well but you have no idea why and usually it's too late by the time they figure out what caused the pain and symptoms. Just thought since you mentioned them I'd pass this on. We put ours away once my youngest started being mobile and will wait until we know that they won't end up in his mouth ;)

http://www.pritzkerlaw.com/Magnetix_Recall/

mariemc said...

Here's one more less "legal" link that mentions the symptoms. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/business/yourmoney/15magnet.html?_r=2&ref=business&oref=slogin

The Morris Family said...

Great thinking on the magnet. I'm so surprised he wasn't complaining!

Jenn D said...

Please, oh please don't give my kids any ideas . . .

Very innovative of you. My kids wanted those toys, but like one of the posters said above I read an article in the paper about a Kindergartner in the Chicago area who died after ingesting one. Now I'm afraid to let my kids play with any magnets.

I'm so glad you didn't have go to urgent care!

Did you pick your Word Verification for me? It's Colin. LOL!

Jamie Lyn said...

what a stinker sounds like something ethan would do.... He is our little adventurpus one....

michelle said...

yep! sounds like aaron.....glad he's okay.

Alex said...

WOW!! Glad he is okay - that is some scary business....and you are very quick on your feet, girl!! I tried not to laugh...wasn't quite successful - kids, huh?! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Diane said...

Oh my goodness,that is scarry! Especially after reading the first comment here. Things kids do huh!!!

Paulette Burton said...

Kids are always trying to kill them selves! Good thinking to use the magnet. I probably would have greased his nostril with vaseline and pushed from the bridge of his nose out.

Regan said...

shakes head, I did this when i was about 4 according to my mom, but it was a pebble- 3 emerg. trips later it was out

Priceless